The year was 1938. It was a time when the reverberations of the Industrial Revolution had not yet reached the interiors of South India. Despite scarce capital and resources, Mr.P.A.C Ramasamy Raja setup the first spinning mill at Rajapalayam, which later became the focal point of the Ramco Group. His sharp focus on technology and quality has inspired a generation of entrepreneurs and formed the basis for the collective vision of the Group.
Under the dynamic leadership of Mr.P.R.Ramasubrahmaneya Rajha, Ramco Industries Limited was founded in 1965 and set up its first plant at Arakkonam, Tamil Nadu for the manufacture of fibre cement roofing sheets. From a modest beginning of a single plant with a production capacity of 36,000 tons per annum, the company has today grown into a major building materials player in South Asia with 10 plants and a combined production capacity of 10,00,000 tons per annum. Apart from fibre cement roofing sheets, the company has also forayed into manufacturing of calcium silicate boards, fibre cement boards, tiles, planks and non-asbestos roofing sheets and is one among the top players in the building materials industry in India and Sri Lanka.
As part of its Golden Jubilee Celebrations the company has repositioned itself and scripted a new vision of ‘Pioneering Green Dry Construction’ to protect nature and promote eco-friendly Green construction practices across the globe – a vision shared by the group’s founder who cared for and worshipped nature.